Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011

I meant to post earlier... I had been thinking about New Year's Eve from when I was growing up and there were always such good times getting together with our friends.

It was really great to get together with all of them this summer and renew friendships... and start friendships on an even more personal scale.

Then I was thinking about how much things changed in the past year - Seattle has seen many many changes. Ken Griffey Jr retiring... Seattle Storm winning another national title... Dave Neihaus passing away and a huge snow storm that practically kept us all imobilized before Thanksgiving. Did I mention the snow this week?

But then it also dawned on me that this is the dawning of a new decade as well and this nation has come such a long long way since New Years Eve 2001.

I don't think any of us feel as secure as we did over 10 years ago. September 11 is all that anyone needs to say to have everyone pause in their steps and remember exactly what they were doing on that gorgeously sunny Tuesday Morning. And before we consider that things are relatively safe - they're not really. People have become much more sneaky about what they are trying to do, even though their goals have remained the same. And in return - Airline security has gotten that much stricter. And finally, airfares have dropped to a fairly normal level and I have taken advantage of decent pricing over the last couple years to do what I want to do in travelling.

So in face and light of a brand new start, I hope that 2011 turns out to be a blessed, safe and happy time for all.

No comments: